Last week, we talked about what sets me apart from other designers in the world and I promised to share some of my best tips for amping up the happiness and warmth in your home using your five senses. First up? Finding a signature scent for your home. Smells are deeply linked to our emotions and memories, so they're a HUGE part of making your home your own.
- Start by taking a few minutes to sit down and think about your favorite memories and the smells associated with them. (If they could find a way to bottle the smell of a newborn baby's head, I'd probably just sit there and huff that for the rest of my life.)
- Next, think about how you want to feel when you walk in the door. Energized? Citrus or peppermint work well. Surrounded by comfort and coziness? Vanilla and chocolate are good options. Relaxed? Lavender.
- Decide if you want one signature scent or if you like to change things up depending on your mood or the season. (I tend to get bored, so I like changing things up on the regular.)
- Think about HOW you want to deliver your scent. Essential oil diffusers? Candles? A bowl filled with coffee beans? (If you’re like me and one of your favorite smells is a large meal cooking, you *might* be a little out of luck finding that at the store. Try breaking it down into smaller, easier-to-find scents like rosemary and thyme, ) By the way, you need to make sure that whatever method you choose LOOKS good, too.
- Remember, above all else you want to be subtle. There’s nothing worse than being whacked over the head by an overpowering scent.